Thursday, July 18, 2013

Words of the World

Hi everyone! Today I will walk you through the steps to make your very own word globe. If you are ever in need of something to finish off your dorm room decor, this is a fast and easy project to do. I received the idea off of Pinterest but made a couple modifications.


So let’s get started!


Materials Needed:
1. Globe (can be any size or color)
2. Mod Podge
3. Cut-out paper words

4. Foam paint brush to apply Mod Podge



Step 1: Find a globe that works for you.

This is actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. There are many estate sales and garage sales that have globes for cheap. I bought my globe for a few dollars down at Good JuJu (they repurpose and sell original pieces of “junk”).




It doesn’t matter what colors your globe has because you will be covering it with words. It’s also okay if your globe has raised areas indicating mountain ranges. The project will still work but might take a little more time.

Step 2: Cut out your choice of words.

In this part, I used two different shades of pink cardstock as well as the Cricut to cut out my words. If you don’t have a Cricut, that’s okay! You could use words from magazines or stencil your words and cut them out individually (sorry, it’s a little bit more time consuming).

Originally, Pinterest said to paint the words on the globe, but what I found was the words didn’t look as clean or sharp that way. 


Step 3: Mod podge your different-sized words onto the globe.

For the particularly mountainous regions on my globe all I had to do was apply more Mod Podge to the letters and press down.

Your words can go diagonally, vertically, horizontally, and just whatever floats your creative juice boat.

Step 4: Apply Mod Podge over the top of all of the words once the first coat dries.


This second coat will ensure your letters will stay.


And that’s all there is to it! There is no right or wrong way to go about this project. Go to town exploring some of your favorite words or wacky color patterns.

It’s a great project to brighten up any dorm room. I will post this project on Craft-O-Maniac and Sew Chatty if you want to view other great projects there. 

Thanks for stopping by! If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment or question in the box below and I will get back to you as soon as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment