Monday, July 8, 2013

Bedding and Beyond

After having been graduated for a couple months, there always lies the question of “What am I going to do for summer?” Some of you might be lucky and take a vacation or maybe, like me, you’re enjoying a staycation. Either way, we’ve all got to get our ducks in a row, or rather our dorm supplies, right?
Honestly, I hate thinking about it. There are so many requirements for living in a dorm without the decorating factored into it. Unfortunately, this gargantuan problem has to be dealt with. Incrementally, of course.

So where does one start?

Tip #1: Start with what is going on your bed.

Now you may think this is the easiest part of the whole process. After all, it’s just a comforter with a couple pillows, right? Wrong. This was actually the hardest part for me. I had no idea what I wanted to start with. Originally, I thought I wanted a teal and white comforter from Bed, Bath and Beyond. But something wasn’t clicking for me so I kept searching and ended up finding something I truly adore from Urban Outfitters.

Tip #2: Bed, Bath, and Beyond is your best friend.

They have wonderful color scheme ideas even if you don’t like the actual bedding. Also, they have a program called “Pack ‘n Hold”. This is where the store will hold specific items you want for your dorm at the Bed, Bath and Beyond closest to your college. That way you don’t have to lug hundreds of items up in your car and can pick up various items at that store.

Remember: if you have to utilize a U-Haul for anything, you may want rethink a. your furniture size and b. the amount of stuff you have. Because, guess what? It won’t fit. Period.

Tip #3: Don’t feel obligated to keep your same colors. Although, that is a good start.
Some people think going with your room colors is the only way to go, but I say take a chance to explore some new colors and styles that you haven’t been looking at for the past 10+ years of your life. Although, if you’re absolutely, irrevocably attached to your room colors at home by all means feel free to bring them with you to college. 

Just remember that your room is just that...your room. So if you're not happy with what you've picked out please don't settle!! If you're into camo, go for camo. If you adore zebra print, go for zebra print. (Just make sure you can live with that for a few years). 

In my next installment, I will discuss some of the necessities of dorm life.

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question below and I will get back to you as soon as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment