Saturday, July 6, 2013

Hibernation to Graduation: Part II

Part II


Tip #3: You don’t have to know what you want to do with the rest of your life to figure out what college you want to go to. A common misconception is that you must know your junior and senior year of high school. Wrong. It’s helpful (sometimes), but it’s wrong. Don’t be afraid to go into college as an Undecided Major. People knowing their major may seem like they have it all figured out, but they can just as easily change. You’re not locked into one specific field.

Take my tour guide, for example. I was visiting my college to audition for their dance program the following day. He gave our group the exact same advice because he changed his major 3 or 4 times before settling on Political Science.

At that point I sort of felt exactly like you do right now.....like this.

I digress...back to examples. Such as me. Right now I am going in as a double major in Dance and Communications Studies. But this doesn’t mean that I will continue doing either. It’s a scary thought. Trust me, I have spent countless nights thinking about it. But don’t be afraid to get your toes wet in other areas.

Another example, I am taking an Archaeology seminar to count as my Honors First-Year Seminar. A requirement for both my Gen. Ed. (General Education) and the Honors Program that I have entered into. Obviously, this has nothing to do with either of my majors, but if you don’t explore other options how will you truly know what you want to do?

Tip #4: Fire up that Academic Resume! I can’t stress enough how much help it was to refer to a document with all of my activities in one place rather than scramble around trying to remember everything I’ve done. And if you aren’t really involved in anything. Find something and stick with it. Don’t feel like you need to get a lot activities in because what most colleges and eventual sororities/fraternities (post to come later) look for is consistency. The worst thing you can do is jump around every year from activity to activity or just do something that you think will look good on that resume for college. Again, FIND SOMETHING YOU LIKE AND STICK WITH IT! It can really make all the difference.

Below is a good template that I used for my own academic resume for high school.

Your name                                                      Your High School
Your address                                                    H.S Address
(Address continued)                                   (H.S. Address continued)

Academic Record:
Ninth Grade (first semester):   Ninth Grade (second semester):

List all of your classes and then either the letter grade or the number grade in each.                      

Cumulative GPA (as of May, 2012 or whatever yr):

Test Scores:
 PSAT: Critical Reading: Score   Math: Score    Writing: Score
 SAT: Critical Reading: Score   Math: Score   Writing: Score     (Science: Score)

Remember: Put down your scores for all of the tests even if you took a particular test multiple times. They like to see improvement.

Awards:

Remember: When you write down your awards, activities, and service go from the most recent to freshman year. And put the date in parentheses after each one.

Extracurricular Activities:

Service:


Tip #5: This is the last one for today, I promise! Don’t feel the need to apply for hundreds of colleges. If you are an undecided major don’t feel pressured to apply for every college you can think of. First, check the options you have in-state. It’s fine to go out of state, actually I am going out of state, but it’s only because my particular college has the programs I want. If you have a specific program in mind sometimes out of state is your only option. Unfortunately, it's how the cookie crumbles. Just explore your options first. You'll find the right fit, but you have to keep an open mind.

Thanks for stopping by! If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you as soon as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment