Friday, July 5, 2013

Hibernation to Graduation: Part I

Part I
Standing on the Music Hall stage silently sweating bullets, my classmates and I wait for the most anticipated moment of the graduation ceremony. Receiving our diploma, switching our tassel to the left, and throwing our caps in the air. Actually graduating.

But how did we even get here? It seems like only yesterday that I was a nervous freshman walking to English class in the hopes that I would know someone. Or a sophomore thanking my lucky stars I didn’t have the stigma of a freshman anymore. Or a junior stressing over SAT/ACT scores being high enough. Or a senior thinking: Where the heck am I going to college!? I don’t even know where to begin.

 High school careers may seem like a long four years, but in reality, they fly by in a blink of an eye (no rhyming intended). Eventually, you will be in the same place I was, figuratively or maybe literally, anticipating your next steps.

Before I do though I have a tiny disclaimer: These methods worked for me, but they are by no means the end all be all of methods.

So let’s get down to business. How do you get to that fateful moment?

Tip #1: Whatever you do please DO NOT succumb to the omnipresent, lurking sickness called Senioritis (aka Hibernation). What is Senioritis you ask? Simply the onset of severe and complete procrastination justified by the fact that it is your senior year and you’ve already gotten into college. Stupidest. Excuse. Ever.

Colleges still want to see what you did your senior year and can revoke your admission acceptance if they believe your grades are not up to their standards. Technically, even though you have received an acceptance letter, your admission is still considered pending. So think long and hard about resorting to the epidemic.

Tip #2: This is going to sound crazy to some people, but let me tell you how much time it saved me during the year. Turn in those college applications and essays THE DAY THE SITE OPENS TO TURN IT IN!! Sites usually go live around August 1st so start cranking out those essays and academic resumes during the summer before senior year. This helps you stay away from the dreaded Senioritis.

Most colleges will allow you to do what is called Early Action where you turn in your essay(s) and application form in early. This is usually non-binding and it allows you to turn in other forms they request earlier as well as possibly having first dibs on orientation days (unless it is assigned) and housing (if you turn in that housing application early enough).

Remember: Early Action and Early Decision ARE NOT the same thing. Below is a chart outlining the different application plans.

Also, as a sidenote, you can use what is called the Common App website (see link). This website gives you a list of colleges that use this website for applications. And guess what? You would only potentially have to write a couple different essays that can be used across the board if you find out your college uses this.

Personally, I did not use the Common App because I had narrowed down what schools I was looking at. If you choose not to do the Common App colleges will post their essay question(s) on their website as well as the application form. It’s honestly personal preference and either way is fine.




Thanks for stopping by! Part II will be coming up tomorrow. If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment